THE POTTER FAMILY'S JOURNEY...


.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

First Day of Kindergarten- Let the Tears Roll!

I really thought that I was nothing more than excited for Reagan to attend her sweet little kindergarten class. I have not shed a tear, okay until Monday.

Monday was Parent/Teacher night- no kiddos. Rick stayed home with the kids and I attended. The teacher was going over the handbook and we got to the "sick" section. You know, don't bring your kids to school with....

Then she looks at me and asks if I will share a few words. I started out by saying my name, my daughter's name, and then LOST IT! Yes, tears flowing! Embarrassing!!! I did manage to pull it together (a little) enough to finish a quick story. A few parents came up to me laughing, telling me they had been crying all afternoon about their child starting school, with no problems at all.

I guess that I had suppressed feelings about my baby starting school, to say the least. Not that I am sad about her growing up, well not totally. I think I always knew that she would get her new heart, I just never pictured anything else in the future. I never let myself plan for the future, not even buy clothes for next season. It felt like I was being presumptuous. We all just live happily in the moment. And look where we are- THE FUTURE! I am so proud of her and the things that she has accomplished. We are so happy that she is so happy.

Yesterday was open house. Rick and I attended with Reagan to officially meet the teachers. She was so excited during her scavenger hunt and playing in the new room. She saw pictures of herself everywhere and really liked it.

She is beginning to enjoy learning. She wants to sound out almost every word now and asks what letter it starts with. She gets it right most of the time!

Today is the first official day of school for her. She will only be there for 2 hours. I will download pictures later today.

Wish her luck today! I don't think that she will need it though! Me on the other hand...Ugh! I am crying now!




4 comments:

  1. Oh girl, you've got me crying for you!!! I know how special this day must be for you! I am so very happy for you and especially for your little firecracker! Praying she has a wonderful year in Kindergarten!!!

    Love you~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm crying too.. what a blessing to be in Kindergarten :)

    Tina B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok...tears here too! I can just imagine the thoughts and feelings going through you and I could cry all day. :)

    Reagan's expressions in those pictures are priceless. She looks like one happy girl to be "all grown up!"

    Do y'all go to UMC, or is that just where she's going to kindergarten? I'd love to know your thoughts on how it goes...

    Hugs,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on such a BIG step!
    i hope she will continue to love all that KDG will bring her.

    way to hang in there, kell.
    she's got your spirit!

    ReplyDelete